Thursday, September 30, 2010

Long I Stood

As hard as it is for me to believe, I am already staring down the end of the quarter here at INCAE. With only a few weeks to go until finals are upon me there's no time to waste in planning the next move. But what happens next is a bit of a mystery.

I have always been good at making decisions when there's plenty of info to build on but sometimes stepping out into the unknown can be a little more difficult. At the end of the quarter I have two choices:

The first is to work on a consulting project with a team of students from INCAE in Panama City. We would be working on one of the biggest real estate developments in the city's history and, while not getting paid a wage, would have all our expenses covered for the next eight weeks. I've never been to Panama City and I don't know what working with this group or on this project will be like.  It's a special opportunity to work abroad, to explore the culture and build out my professional experience towards an international career. 

The second choice would be to take a leap of faith and head out into the unknown. Taking the next 8 weeks away from work and school I would be free to explore travel and learn. I would like to take a few weeks and volunteer my time those who could use my help somewhere in South America. I would like to see the streets of Buenos Aires, the ancient city of Machu Pichu and the highways shut down for cyclists every Sunday in Bogota. Yes this sounds nice, but a solo adventure for 8 weeks sounds excessive. The cities I would like to visit are far apart, their streets can be fierce and the time alone can be hard on the soul. I may meet other travelers who are eager join the exploration, but I also may not. George Clooney told me in a movie that the best experiences in life are shared with other people and what can I say, the guy has a trustworthy face. I am inclined to agree with him.

So, for the moment I am stuck between two amazingly fantastic choices ...

3 comments:

  1. Dylan, it is so great to read this blog. I feel like I know what you are going through and what you are thinking each day. What an incredible experience. Your life will always benefit this phase of your life. I like your free spirit approach. Please tell your roommate he is welcome to our house at any time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A man. A plan. A canal. I think the choice is clear.

    ReplyDelete