Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Lluvia y mas lluvia

For my single-lingual gringos back home you should know that lluvia means rain and that this word gets thrown around a lot here at INCAE. According to the government of Costa Rica it is currently  green season, which is a pleasant way of saying "It's a rain forest and you are here during rainy season you nincompoop."

All adventures for the past weekend were postponed when the rain fell with such unrelenting fury that many of the roads leading to the beaches on the pacific ocean were closed. So, left with no tales of  quixotic adventures and assuming that you need a respite from the anecdotes stuck inside of my head, I decided to give you a little tour of INCAE-traz. If I wake up early in the a.m. sometimes I'm lucky enough to grab a few rays of sunshine before the clouds roll in. This is the best time to snap a few photos.  INCAE is one part summer camp, one part b-school and one part prison. If I'm stuck here on campus you might as well be too...

So away we go.
Just wave to the guard at the gate and he'll let you right in...

 Hidden in the distance is unforgettable house 17 on the hill. On the left is the rowdy house 16, home to our Japanese exchange student Shinichiro and I can assure you that he gets even less sleep than I do. Up on the right, tucked behind the little tree is casa 17.

Seriously steep driveway...




Our house is a very very very nice house.


The exotic shot from behind the rocks. Feeling jungly and such on my way to class.


It's about an 8 minute walk over the hill to main campus. 


 Ah, the library. Bastion of knowledge, lets just sit down and get comfy for a little after dinner studying with this nice book and... Wait, What!? What do you mean you close at 9 p.m.!? Oh balls!


 Looking down on the pool and cafeteria. If it's your birthday (or your roommate's birthday) you best arrive to lunch and dinner prepared to take a dip. It's a ritual to grab you by your hands and feet and fling you in.

Poolside tables. Not sure I've ever seen anyone sitting here. It looks nice but I have a feeling it's damp...


The Forum. This is INCAE's answer to DU's Marcus Commons. Nothing like studying while the rain falls behind the palm trees.  


Everyday is a constant battle against the moss and mold. I see a guy out power washing this path about every other day... 


All the main walkways are covered. Rain, rain, go away...


 The gym, straight out of 1978. This is where I suffer on the spinning bike in the humid heat and try to pretend that I am not 16 pounds heavier than racing season last spring. Also the site of the first yoga class I have ever participated in that had more guys than girls...


Sometimes above the library I can find a little peace a quiet. 


My top secret study spot. Secluded, nice view of the jungle and plenty of internet to go around. Shhhh, don't tell anyone where I'm hiding.


*Yawn*  all this tour guiding is making me tired. Time to hit the sack. Back to house 17 do a little reading at my desk and tuck myself in.... Oh who am I kidding, Cahudo, lets go BBQ up some food and have a beer! 


¡Hasta Luego!




1 comment: