Monday, May 30, 2011

One-a-Days V: Do What You Do

Yes, I know I haven't been around for a few days. No, I don't feel bad about it. The shape of life is changing. Finals had me pinned down and once free I have spent my time enjoying a little sliver of R&R with old friends and new ones. The shape of life is changing. Staring a down a post-school world where I'm no longer working or pedaling towards a finish line. It's strange. But anyhow, Off we go:


As I close the book on formal education there's one lesson I feel compelled to share. People talk a lot about doing what you love and I'm not inclined to argue with that... except, I like to argue with everything and I think I have found a better equation. It's a little supply and demand curve where the intersection point is optimum level where 'doing what you love' crosses 'doing what you're good at.'

There's an amazing passion that comes along with doing what you love. It inspires you to get out of bed before the sunrise to chase dreams or or make new ones, to explore mountains or ideas, to build bridges or models, to work like you've never worked before. Doing what you love is fantastic but it can't always pay the bills. Especially if you just aren't that great at it.

There's a lucky few who are the damned best at what they love. But for the rest of us a deal must be struck. Balancing emotion with skill to make the challenges of everyday exciting. Business school has been a harsh lesson in missing the mark completely. I fell off the chart of what I loved and landed ass first into a world of work that I was not good at. Lucky, I realized just in time that I love working hard, and finding ways to make impossible situations possible. I used my love to turn a world of spreadsheets into a global adventure on a search for how cultures, countries and companies interact to keep us all moving forward and help us all do what we love.

Ok, I'm getting a little lost but I promise there's a message here. Don't give up on what you love but don't shun what you do best either. Keep working at both if you can. Find ways to bring them together. Be a passionate high performer. Or at least that's what I'm aiming to do. Now I just need to figure out what I love and discover what I'm good at.

Sure, I've got an masters now, but it wouldn't be any fun if it wasn't still a work in progress.

Until Tomorrow (hopefully).
-D

No comments:

Post a Comment